There are positive steps you can take to recover from a loss.
- First, make sure everyone in the household is out safely.
- Alert the appropriate authorities of the situation.
- If it is safe, evaluate your property and secure it from further damage by making reasonable, temporary repairs.
- Repair broken windows, leaky roofs or leaking water pipes to avoid additional damage to your property.
- Keep all your temporary repair receipts and any damaged property until your claims representative can inspect them.
- If possible, move undamaged items to a safe and secure area.
If you have items that are damaged or stolen, you can assist with the recovery process by providing your claims adjuster with a detailed list of all the property. The information most helpful includes:
- Brand name
- Model or serial numbers
- Age of an item
- Place and approximate date of original purchase
- Purchase price
- Cost to replace today and the location where you found this information